Friday, September 30, 2011

Diaper Talk: Shifting to Cloths

How apt to write on diapers after my previous dramatic blog entry :) After all, my life changed when my baby came. He just turned one last week, and he inspired me to make the choices I did.

As a doctor mom, I shifted to cloth diapers primarily due to health reasons. Caleb has been very prone to rash with disposables. I kept 3 dozens of gauze diapers, and used good old reliable nappy covers. It was like doing bedside (monitoring) with a patient, haha. Boy, was I vigilant for his weewee.

Back then, I didn't know how the new cloth diapers worked, I had no one to ask them about, they were hard to find and I was stalled by the very dear price. Until I decided to try them out.

My purpose for this entry is to inform. I find it pressing after a handful of queries from other moms. (By the way, did I mention that I run an online eco mom and baby store?)

Ok, they are cute. But do they really work? For me, it is a yes :) In fact, Caleb stays dry overnight with just one shell with 2 inserts, without leaks. In the morning, he plays around with them and change every 2-4 hours. It really depends.

Here are some FAQs:

1. How do they work? 
They usually come in 2 parts: the SHELL (or cover) and the INSERT. The SHELL has a water repelling inner cloth layer so that baby's tushy stays dry, and a waterproof outer layer so that everything else outside the baby stays dry (that includes papa, mama, sheets, floor, etc.). The INSERT is a highly absorbent cloth that you sandwich inside the shell. When baby weewees, it goes straight into the insert and everything else stays dry like magic.



Done. That simple :)

2. Is it worth the investment?
Go figure. How much are you guys spending for disposables? We only use them when we go out or when we have run out of cloths. Also, if you are considering cloths, it is best to get them while baby is young. One size diapers actually grow with the baby (ONE-size, as in one-size fits most). I am actually satisfied with the fit of Caleb's diaper. They have cleverly hidden adjustable leg panels and sturdy snap-ons. They should fit a newborn up to a 36month-old toddler.

3. How to care for them? 
They are machine washable! Care should be taken however. Don't let any fabric softener or harsh detergents touch your precious cloths or they may loose some powers. These stuff tend to leave a film, making your diapers less absorbent. This can be fixed through a process called stripping. But that's a different topic.  I prefer handwashing, and I use biodegradable soap.

4. Don't they stink? 
Over time, cloths would be stinky because of ammonia wastes in the weewee. To get rid of that, just add 2-3tablespoons vinegar on a small basin for your first or second rinse. Don't worry it wouldn't smell like datu puti once you had the third rinse  (did you know that vinegar is a natural fabric softener too?). Baking soda actually helps too :)

5. What about the yucky poop? 
Surprisingly, the solid stuff actually comes out by just knocking it off the toilet bowl. Stubborn dirt easily rinses off under a mini shower (say under the faucet or a bidet).

6. Are they comfortable? 
Some moms that say they're a bit hot for our climate, and I noted that too. But it really depends on your baby. Caleb seems happy naman (and he really love to go shirtless, so maybe that compensates, haha).

7.  Is "goodbye rashes" a promise? 
Cloth diapers does not equate to zero diaper rash. It's still a caretakers lookout! Important is to make sure baby is dry and comfortable no matter what. For this system, an insert usually works 2-4 hours, depending on the baby. (A friend even tells me her baby was on it for 5 hours for certain intervals).

8.  How many do you need?
It really depends on factors like the age of your baby, your washing habits, diapering system, etc. Some suggest 12 per day for a newborn. Well, newborns don't have regular poop patterns yet so they are bound to soil more. For older babies, 8 a day could suffice. That is if like me, you wash at the end of the day. Some combine this system with disposables, or gauze diapers. A friend shared that her baby's yaya would actually use prefolds when she runs out of the inserts. Brilliant!


Hope my experience helped you out. Don't get overwhelmed with the reviews because it is actually easy. It's about finding out which system works for you and your baby.

Happy cloth diapering!




3 comments:

  1. how much po dito sa pinas ang cloth diaper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My baby is 4 weeks old na. Do you advice 12 inserts a day or 12 diapers per day? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Helga :) At 4 weeks, I am sure that you baby's poop pattern is not regular yet - this means you might need to get more stash because once soiled, the whole thing needs to go to the pail. Will try to email you very soon.

    Mitchyweech, thanks for your query. The price range of cloth diapers in the Philippines really vary. Many imported brands usually cost P1,000 up. The local brands at ~ P300+ a piece :) It's quite an investment at the start but the long term savings will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete