Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Closing Doors, New Opportunities

The recent months have been crazy. Mommy's cancer found its way back and I had to drop everything for her. She was a fierce fighter - battling it on her own until she can't anymore. She had a beautiful death, dying peacefully in my Daddy's arms when all of us have unintentionally fallen asleep. And just like that, she is gone. 


  
She had a beautiful life of faith. Her life revolved around us. She reminded me of important things and how fleeting life can be.

A week after her death, I was scheduled to attend a week-long leadership journey for doctors. I almost didn't want to go but was reminded that Mommy was happy to receive the news that I was chosen for the program.

So for her, I went. The journey was life-changing and it allowed me to think deeper about my life purpose. In one word, the experience is Affirmation.

Beholding the beauty of Siargao. As one of my batchmates asked, "What did I do to deserve this?"

On to a healthier Philippines! My Leadership Journey Family.

The inventure was just what I needed. I have made the following resolutions:

1. I will stick with my own standards of success. 
2. I will not doubt my self, as I have surrendered my course to God. 
3. I will be jealous of my time. (Ate Kathy, I borrow the phrase from you!)
4. I will write my stories.

Let me share a story. Something I have to let go of, with some sadness but full of hope.

I built an online store from scratch. I didn't have the capital, I didn't have the connections. I was just a stay at home mom who wanted to share a new found lifestyle that became an increasingly popular option. Along the way, I found friends and like-minded people. I felt the connection with mothers and the people who would entrust their brands with me. I found a niche. It was amazing. I thought the store was headed towards the right direction. I convinced my sister to take over with plans of expanding it.

Multiply (the e-commerce platform) shut down, and then my sister had to go back to the province for Mommy. It was difficult to keep up with the demands of work and family. It happened in almost a rapid sequence, so I thought it was best to temporarily close down the store.  



Between that time and now, I had to evaluate why the store exists. 

The first reason is to influence. Around 2 years ago, there were just a few of us pioneering a similar trend so we were quite easy to spot. Then we got featured on TV and on magazines and I got to talk in cool places like Rockwell Tent and ADB. The network also grew to 3,500 followers. Some influence must be there.  It delights me that stores of the same theme are now flourishing. I can only hope that I was able to contribute to this awareness.

I volunteered my time in a hospital to help new moms breastfeed. I work for an NGO that promotes maternal and child health. I decided not to do full time medical practice for a living and the store has become a source of extra income so I can continue doing things I really love.

With change-makers at the ADB No Impact Week early this year.
Here with Jen Horn of  Muni,  Reese Ruiz of  Rags 2 Riches and Anna Oposa of Save Philippine Seas


During an Unang Yakap lay forum. The Medical City.

In one of our many Unang Yakap workshops for health care providers. 

These benefits from the store also come with some personal costs.

The routine of running the store has taken a toll on me. For example, I want responses to inquiries to be prompt. I usually don't give direct answers but guide the moms through the process of decision making. (I started this blog to just direct them here but of course, I was too lazy to write). Orders should be with clients the next day or two. Reports and payments should be with suppliers on the dot. It bothers me if any of these things are not served. Oh, and I have been having backlogs since July so that's not a pretty good shape. The most crucial factor is not having somebody else to oversee the store and my household. It is all just me. 

There are also other opportunity costs. How time flies, Caleb turned 3 years old! While most mompreneurs can multi-task (my friend Jenny is the epitome of a multi-tasker), I want to start simplifying my life in order to do more and do what really counts. I dream of helping improve health outcomes for Filipino babies and I want this dream to take off. So I have resolved to be with Arvin and Caleb when I can, and be all there for them while I pursue my dream with undivided passion. 

My inspiration, a 3 year-old toddler.

Therefore, I am turning a page and letting go of the store. 

Thank you for transacting with me, it has been a joy to serve you and to be your friend. You know who you are. 

Thank you to all the suppliers who trusted and supported me. May the Lord repay your kindness and bless all the good intentions you have through your meaningful enterprises.  

Now, what will I do with a page that has 3,500 followers? Hmm...

Caleb's Closet will always be a testimony of the Lord's enabling and providence.

Will you still stick around as I close this door and start anew? I am not prolific nor eloquent. But maybe, I have some stories to share.

Thanks for listening, 

Lei

" Leap! And the net will appear." 
- John Borroughs

4 comments:

  1. Dear Lei, there will always be a market for your store, perhaps in a different format and time:) God bless you in whatever path you may take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You continue to insire me, Lei. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Lei, God has plans for you, plans to prosper you, to give you hope and a future. You have chosen what is most important. Your family will reap the benefits of your decision. May God continue to guide you in His chosen path for you :) Hope we can still do that lactation clinic together :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You inspired me Lei! I already told you this, I was in Rockwell when you did your talk for Mommy Mundo. Honeybaby wouldn't exist if not for you :) God knows what's best. We'll continue to support your ventures... Gobdbless! ~Lique

    ReplyDelete